The video of our itinerary
A few weeks ago my cousin was visiting. We were looking for an adventure to take us out of London. With rain predicted along with strong winds, the weather wasn't cooperating for a quick trip to Scotland - our original plan. We had heard about the Isle of Wight before, so we thought why not give it a shot.
We left London early on Saturday morning, picked up Stephen, and headed to Lymington (about a 2.5 hour drive from London) where we caught the ferry. We'll be posting individual posts for most of these activities, but we also wanted to share our itinerary for any of you that may want to give it a try!
- 7:30am: Pick up our ZipCar and leave London
- 10:30am: Check in for the White Link ferry (ferry details and tips here)
- 11am: Ferry departs
- 11:45am: Ferry arrives in Yarmouth
- Lunch in Yarmouth at the Blue Crab (Gluten free fish and chips! More on that here)
- Drive to Quarr Abbey & explore the grounds
- Drive to our hotel: The Wight which is very dog friendly!
- Walk the beachfront
- Visit the Chine - one of the oldest tourist attractions on the Isle of Wight
- 8am: Enjoy an amazing breakfast at the Wight (included with your room!)
- 9am: Hit the road and head to the Donkey Sanctuary (full post on that here)
- Drive to St Catherine's Lighthouse for a quick hike
- Short drive to St Catherine's Oratory - quick hike
- Drive to Freshwater - pickup a picnic lunch & drone flight on the beach
- Drive to the Needles - explore the area
- Head back to the ferry. Check in at 4:30, grab ice cream, and head out at 5pm
- 8:45pm: back in London
It was a very busy 36 hours, but it was a lot of fun and we felt like we saw most of the Isle of Wight. There is definitely more to see and for those with an English Heritage membership you may want to check out the castle and palace on the island.